History of The Alderney Society
The Alderney Society began in 1966 in the basement of the Island Hall, however the site wasn't suitable for storing the type and amount of records that were being donated. The States of Alderney offered the Society the use of the old St Anne's school built by a former governor in 1790. With only a minuscule budget and the help of a handful of dedicated volunteers the building was renovated, the first displays created and the new Alderney Society Museum opened to the public in 1970. Since then the Alderney Society has been leading the way in preserving Alderney's history and will continue to do so.
The Alderney Society is an organisation dedicated to the historical, environmental and scientific promotion of the island of Alderney. Our aims are written into the Society's constitution:
- To encourage and participate in research into all the fields of knowledge concerning the island of Alderney and to record and propagate the results of such research.
- To encourage the scientific and cultural activities of the island and to support projects associated with those aims. To preserve and record structures, sites and chattels of historical or scientific interest or artistic merit on the island and to contribute to Alderney's assets in landscape, townscape, flora and fauna.
- To make representations to the States and people of Alderney should the island's way of life, character or natural heritage appear to be threatened by encroachment or despoilment.
- To encourage and assist the conservation of the environment.